Alternative Audience Composition

When thinking of my audience for my Inquiry-Based Research paper, I always thought it would be millennial and Gen X women. I thought this because most women targeted are either millennials or Gen X. As stated in my research paper, MLMs try to persuade Military wives, new mothers, and the unemployed into joining their companies. While some men enroll in these schemes, most are females. Also, MLMs prey upon college students; Bossbabes will describe MLMs as opportunities to pay off your student debt. 

I imagine my audience gets their information online rather than in a newspaper; I decided to make my model essay a TIME article. While TIME’s audience can access it physically, most readers read their articles online. I also assumed that they are frequent users of youtube. So, I wanted my alternative audience composition to be in the form of a Youtube Ad. That way, it is accessible to everyone who uses youtube.  

I aimed not to have any complex words in my commercial. For example, I made an effort not to use my evidence regarding petrochemicals found in MONATs shampoo. In the lawsuit cited, MONAT claims to have no petrochemicals in their products, which can cause cancer and liver damage; However, the first ingredient in their shampoo is Butylene Glycol, a known petrochemical. While it is interesting, it is too complex for a youtube ad. Instead, I used the statistic that 997 out of 1000 women claimed to have lost money from MLMs.

Instead of acting out both characters, I decided to use cartoon characters. Your point can come across as more appealing if the medium is less formal. I wanted to make the video less than 2 minutes because youtube viewers tend to lose interest quickly in ads. Also, I wanted to show whats it’s like to be asked to join their scheme by a trusted friend. When most Bossbabes try to recruit new members, most just think of Direct Messaging random people on social media. However, many current constituents in MLMs have been recruited by someone they trusted. It’s heartbreaking to hear, but this could prevent potential victims from believing everything they hear, especially when it comes to MLMs. 

My main goal in my commercial was to describe what it’s like to join an MLM quickly. In my presentation in class, I will be showing how people act when in these schemes. This includes analyzing Facebook group chats and company websites. My first-person accounts reflected how MLMs are brainwashing women to get them to join their company. Through their website advertising starting their own company, women are blinded by the fact that the shampoos arent the actual products in this situation; They are. Targeting suffering women or women, in general, is a sick strategy with sexist undertones. There should be more transparency for women contemplating joining these companies, which I aimed to do in my research paper, video, and presentation.